Saturday, June 30, 2007

Free Time

Happy July, y'all. The last couple weeks have been very busy for us, but things are progressing rather nicely. Actually, at this point I would say that most of the important decisions have been made, and it looks like I can look forward to a relaxing month before we hit the road.

In the last few days, I managed to book the moving company, sort out my 401K rollover, set up our new bank account in North Carolina, sell our extra stuff at a yard sale, and pay off my wife's car for good measure. Sure is nice not to have a job, since I don't know how I would have gotten all of that out of the way otherwise!

Since school is pretty much over with around here, I doubt I will be bringing in much cash next month. I actually even contemplated applying for a job parking cars for a month, which was one of my favorite jobs in college, but I've got enough money coming in from substitute teaching to last me 'til we move.

Besides, my wife and I are heading off to a wedding in Boston in the middle of next month, and I don't think my new employer would appreciate me taking a week off of work after only one week on the job, when I would plan on quitting a couple weeks after that anyway.

So it looks like I've got some free time this month, and I am wondering what I will do with it. There is still plenty to pack up of course, and I'm sure lots of last-minute details to iron out. Have gotten used to the busy pace of the last couple months though, and wonder if I am up for the task of catching up on my soaps for the next couple weeks.

I won't ever get used to this
A blank spot
temptations do resist.
The other shoe will drop
just an aftershock
Nice hat; you look like a referee
Nice watch; but why are you timing me?
Its spring has come unwound
I was not out of bounds
This is not out--
I drew that line
when I was handed free time.

"Free Time" was written by Michael Penn

1 comment:

June Cutoff Cash said...

What about the part where we don't know what we're doing with our three kitty children? That's a pretty major decision we haven't made yet. I wish we could just beam them there.