Saturday, May 19, 2007

Alarm Clock Shock

When the alarm goes of on Monday, I will begin my last blessed week of work with the company I have been with for almost seven years. Strange to think that after next week, I'll have absolutely no use for all the myriad rules, protocols, and procedures that I have performed with robotic precision for the better part of a decade.

Just where does all that unnecessary knowledge go, exactly? How can something so important to my present ability to put food on the table become worthless information so quickly?

Anyway, my wife and I have a wedding to attend tonight. Invariably, at social functions like these, you'll be seated next to somebody you don't know, and that person will at some point during the evening ask what you do for a living.

In days past, I would have just muttered something about "computers," or "the Internet," and left it at that. Along with my response, I would always find it necessary to impart to the person inquiring that I didn't really enjoy my job; if only through the tone of my response, or the less-than-enthusiastic look that immediately came over my face when they asked.

Tonight will be different. I will be able to respond with passion and vigor.

"Freelance Bum," I will proudly state. Or, "Soon-To-Be Unemployed Drain On Our Personal Finances."

Should be fun to watch the person's expression when I answer the question. At least the pitiful look won't be on my face this time...

Six o'clock--Alarm clock shock!
Seven o'clock--I'm on the train
Dragged in at eight--No, don't be late
A million days of work--Yes that's my fate


"Alarm Clock Shock" was performed by The British Norberts

1 comment:

7-how-7 said...

wow - never thought Anyone would quote me on those lyrics - how funny to remember that song. sheesh - 1987? 20 years ago?