Thursday, May 31, 2007

All Gone Away

When I arrived home this afternoon, there was a package waiting by the door. I was expecting this, and kind of dreading it at the same time. It was my last check I would ever receive from my former employer.

It was a nice chunk of change, and should last the better part of a couple months. It included holiday pay, unused sick days, and some money put into a stock purchase plan for stock that would never end up being purchased.

This job was my first experience with direct deposit, which almost removes the relationship between your work and compensation. Instead, it just seemed like I showed up for work whenever I was scheduled, and in exchange, there was always money that magically appeared in my account whenever the bills were due.

Like many other things, you just take this relationship for granted, so it is strange to think that when I check my account on June 15th, the punch bowl will no longer keep refilling itself. Of course, I also no longer have to go to a job that was crushing my soul, so I guess I can live with that (for now).

The wind blows whispers down the street,
Having free reign with the town so bleak
Like everything else it's - all gone away.
The Town Hall clock gives forth its chime,
But no-one's there to ask the time -
Like everything else they've - all gone away


"All Gone Away" was performed by The Style Council

No comments: