Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Move On

In my mind, I think I quit my job years ago. Sure, I showed up every day, and tried to complete my tasks in a professional and competent manner. But no matter how hard I tried, every now and again I would screw something up simply because I had been over that job for years.

On the day that I quit, my boss sent me a scathing e-mail (if an e-mail can in fact scathe), criticizing my latest blunder, and going so far as to blame it on a lack of enthusiasm for my job.

I didn't bother to respond, because there really wasn't much to say. She was right.

My job for the most part certainly wasn't any fun. Each day, I could count on a lot of mindless menial labor mixed in with mind-numbing boredom when the jobs finally stopped rolling in. There were certain parts of my job that I enjoyed, but ultimately not much to jump up and down about when all was said and done.

That is why I think that making this transition has been a relatively painless experience for me. I was so ready to be gone from that place for so long now, that it almost seems like I was never there. Today, just to make sure there was no going back, I threw away pretty much every document related to my former place of employment, and tossed another bag of uniforms in the convenient bin on the corner that collects and distributes clothing and shoes to the homeless.

Kind of gives me a slight thrill to think of some dude ambling down skid row proudly wearing my former company logo on his chest. Now if I can only figure out what a "roller in the ocean" is, I think I will be fully prepared to take my first tentative steps into the next chapter of my so-called life.

Like a roller in the ocean, life is motion
Move on
Like a wind that's always blowing, life is flowing
Move on
Like the sunrise in the morning, life is dawning
Move on
How I treasure every minute
Being part of it, being in it
With the urge to move on


"Move On" was written and performed by ABBA

No comments: